Monday, April 16, 2007

Does Anyone Know How To Make A Decision???

Decision making has never been my thing. I am always the last to order at a restaurant, I always buy at least four different flavors of gum, and I spend the whole night picking out a movie because I can never decide what I want. Its even worse when I need to make a decision for other people because then I not only feel the pressure from myself to choose what is right, I have to deal with making sure I choose something right for them too. It’s so annoying because it wastes my time but no matter what, I can never make a decision.

The other problem is I always ask people what I should do because I can never decide for myself. I rely so much on other people's opinions and it always influences my final decision. My parents definitely do not help me either because when I ask them, they give me half an answer (if that is possible). They try not to tell me what to do, so that I will “make my own choices,” and then at the same time they manage to tell me exactly what they think I should do. They truly have a talent. All they end up doing is making the whole situation worse because they both have two completely different opinions (which has me try and make them both happy, which never happens).

My lack of decision making capabilities is having me choose a college be like 20 times harder. Sometimes I feel like I have a million choices and then sometimes I feel like I have one. I think people with a lack of decision making skills also have the tendency to make things into extremes.

I am so frustrated with college I am almost ready to make a poll and ask people what they think I should do. You know what, here it is: Choice A is that I go to Buffalo; Choice B is that I go to Buffalo and transfer to Binghamton in the spring; Choice C is that I go to college at home for the fall and transfer to Binghamton in the Spring; Choice D (only possible if I get off the wait list and in to Binghamton for the fall) I go to Binghamton; or Choice E (my personal favorite at the moment) I skip college and join the circus.

I wish someone would just tell me what to do but I guess it’s just a part of the "college picking experience". It really would not be the same if someone just said to me, "do this, it’s the right choice." As annoying and stressful as deciding is, I bet I would be even more annoyed if someone decided for me. I am probably better off this way; maybe I will even learn how to make a decision.


No comments: