Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Virginia Tech

I have been thinking about college for over a year now. I have been thinking about where to go, what classes to take, how am I going to meet people, and so on and so forth. I thought I had thought about everything there was possibly to think about but as the last few days showed me, I didn't. I never ever even possibly thought that there could ever be a shooting like there was at Virginia Tech. To me, the shooting came out of nowhere, as I am sure it did to everyone else. Who could ever even imagine that anything like this could happen? Even after Columbine, September 11, and the ASU shooting a few months ago, things like this are just not expected. They take everyone by surprise and devastate a community, a nation. When something like this happens it makes everything else seem so small in comparison.
I still can not believe that this happened but as I have been reading all the articles and watching the media coverage I can't help but think if this could have been prevented. When Columbine happened I was very young, but as I got older I learned more about it and I wondered the same thing. Cho Seung-Hi is very similar to the two killers from Columbine. In both cases, the killers were depressed and teachers and peers wondered if they needed psychiatric help. In Cho's case, teachers even reached out to him but he just denied that anything was wrong and refused to even go and talk to a counselor. There has to be a way to reach out to people like Cho, even when they do not want to be helped. I know you cannot put people away just for seeming depressed and disturbed, but how else could you ever help someone with that type of personality?

I can't even imagine going through what the students at Virginia Tech went through over these last few days. Only in my worst nightmare could something like this ever happen. Their reality is my worst nightmare. The idea of that is horrifying. I am very sorry to everyone who was affected by the shooting and I offer my condolences to you all.

1 comment:

KAUSHAL said...

i am too felt about that killing.
anyway nice post
regards
kaushal
http://above-life.blogspot.com