Monday, April 23, 2007

Cooking and College

I was late to my cooking class today. I went in expecting to get yelled at for being late and I also expected to be able to do my government homework but, when I walked in my teacher was not there and the chairs were in a circle. Yes, a circle. I was more than a little shocked because I have not seen chairs set up like that since Elementary School. After the shock wore off I looked around and realized that everyone was sitting and I was standing and looked like an idiot. So then I started looking for a seat but, with my wonderful luck, the only one left was right in the front. I hate sitting in the front but I didn't want to look stupid for any longer so I just sat down and let go of the idea of being able to do anything productive.
I kind of just sat there for a minute really confused because one, my teacher wasn't there and two, on the days we don't cook we literally do nothing. Then a guy walked in with a bag of food in one hand and a rolling backpack in the other. He walked right in front of me and then put the food down and started unloading his backpack. This was like a magic bag because except for Mary Poppins, I have never seen one person pull so much stuff out of such a small bag before. First he pulled out like literally a travel stove, then two bowls, then spoons, then an electric mixer, and then some more really random stuff. I just sat watching him because I had no idea what was going on and then out of nowhere my teacher came back and said he was a student Chef and he was going to give us a demonstration.
The Chef (I forgot his name so I will refer to him as "the chef") introduced himself and and before I could even blink he started telling us about his college. He wasn't even talking about food. He was cooking but he was not giving us a demonstration. A demonstration is when someone explains what they are doing while they are doing it, a demonstration is not a person does something and talks about college. Basically, I was pretty annoyed. I hear about college all day from all different sorts of people. The last thing that I wanted was to hear someone endorse their school for forty minutes.
As I was listening to him talk, I began to get more annoyed. The Chef kept talking about Johnson & Wales. I felt like I was on the part of a college tour when the tour guides talk for 30 minutes straight telling you how good the school is. I didn't know why I was getting so annoyed by this guy, but for some reason he was just really getting on my nerves.
About after 10 mintues more of The Chef's talking I realized why I wanted to murder him. I was jealous of him. Here he was, barely 2 years older than me, and he knew exactly what he wanted to do with his life. Not only did he know what he wanted to do, he knew what he wanted to do since he was in high school. His first day of college he started training to be a chef. When I start college I am not going to be training for my job. You want to know why? Because I don't know what I want to do when I grow up. I have no clue what I want to do and before I thought that I was fine with that, but after today I realized that maybe I am not.
My Dad keeps telling me that it is fine if I don't know what I want to do. Actually, everyone keeps telling me that it doesn't matter, as long as I know by my Sophomore year. What really worries me though is that I won't know then either and I will just pick something randomly and end up hating it. I don't want to hate my job and I don't want to hate my major. I am sure that it will all be fine in the end but I wish that I knew that it would be for sure.
You know what, it probably doesn't even matter if I pick now or later. I bet half the people in my grade who declare a major freshman year will end up changing it by their junior year. You know what, I would even bet money that The Chef goes back to school for something else in 5 years.


No comments: